US President Donald Trump has declared Venezuelan airspace "closed in its entirety" in a Truth Social post on Saturday. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) warned major airlines last week of a "potentially hazardous situation" over Venezuela. The agency cited a "worsening security situation and heightened military activity in or around" the country.
In his Truth Social post, Trump addressed his warning "To all Airlines, Pilots, Drug Dealers, and Human Traffickers," escalating tensions amid growing US military operations in the region. The declaration follows months of controversial US strikes targeting alleged drug boats, which have killed at least 83 people since September.
The US military has deployed massive firepower to the Caribbean, including the USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier, which arrived in the region on November 11 with over 4,000 sailors, fighter jets, and support vessels. The deployment also includes ten Marine Corps F-35s stationed in Puerto Rico, bringing the total US personnel in the region to an estimated 12,700.
Controversial "kill everyone" order
Secretary of War Pete Hegseth faces allegations of issuing an illegal order to "kill everyone" during the first boat strike in September, which left 11 people dead. The Washington Post reported that the US military fired a second missile to target survivors who remained in the water after the initial strike set the boat ablaze.
Military experts told the newspaper that killing men posing no imminent threat "amounts to murder."
Hegseth denied the reporting on X, calling it "fabricated, inflammatory, and derogatory reporting to discredit our incredible warriors fighting to protect the homeland." He said they specifically designed the strikes to be "lethal, kinetic strikes" and that "Every trafficker we kill is affiliated with a Designated Terrorist Organization."
Trump-Maduro tensions escalate
The New York Times reported Friday that Trump and Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro spoke by phone last week, with Secretary of State Marco Rubio joining the call. During the conversation, Trump and Maduro reportedly discussed a potential meeting.
Trump told service members on Thanksgiving that military efforts would soon expand to land operations against drug traffickers. He warned: "We warn them: Stop sending poison to our country." The administration has accused the 63-year-old Maduro, president since 2013, of leading the "Cartel de los Soles" criminal network, which the US designated as a Foreign Terrorist Organization this month.
Venezuela revoked operating rights for six major international airlines following the FAA warning.
The UK has reportedly ceased sharing intelligence on Venezuelan boats, fearing US actions could be illegal under international law.
Latin American leaders, international law experts, and some members of Congress have described the US attacks as extrajudicial killings, claiming most casualties were fishermen.
Note: This article was created with Artificial Intelligence (AI).














