The UK Home Office has delayed plans to house 300 male asylum seekers at Cameron Barracks in Inverness, Scotland. First Minister John Swinney sharply criticized the original proposals, saying they appeared "made up on the back of an envelope."
The Home Office announced Friday it postponed the placement, originally set for early December, citing the need to ensure facilities are "fully operational and safe." The 140-year-old barracks requires £1.3 million in refurbishment work.
Swinney told the Press Association on Saturday that the delay showed the Home Office poorly formulated these plans. He said the Home Office had failed to properly engage with Highland Council or the Scottish government about the proposals.
Criticism of Government Planning
Speaking to BBC Radio Scotland's Breakfast programme, Swinney intensified his criticism. "[...] the Cameron barracks announcement of several weeks ago and the abrupt nature of it, and then the abrupt nature of the about-turn yesterday indicates that frankly, this has all been made up on the back of an envelope," he said.
The First Minister described the situation as a "recognition of reality". He added: "The Home Office said that they didn't want to preside over a chaotic and unsafe approach – that's exactly what they are presiding over."
Swinney told the Press Association he couldn't answer detailed questions about arrangements at Cameron Barracks "[...] because the answers are not forthcoming from the Home Office". He advised the department to "[...] do some thinking, some homework first" before proceeding with such plans.
Home Office Response
A Home Office spokesperson said Friday the government is "furious at the level of illegal migrants and asylum hotels". They stated: "Moving to large military sites is an important part of our reforms to tackle illegal migration and the pull factors that make the UK an attractive destination."
The spokesperson emphasized: "We will not replicate the mistakes of the past where rushed plans have led to unsafe and chaotic situations that impacts the local community." The department said it would continue to "accelerate" plans for both Cameron Barracks and Crowborough military base in East Sussex once sites are ready.
Protests Called Racist
When asked by the Press Association if protests against asylum seeker hotels are racist, Swinney responded directly: "Yes, they are, because they are expressing hostility towards individuals, and it is important that we confront that sentiment."
He said: "Many of the people who are participating in these protests against the asylum seeker hotels are people who are spreading racist hate in our country." Swinney made the comments ahead of attending an anti-racism march in Glasgow organized by the Scottish Trade Unions Congress.
The barracks had previously housed families fleeing Afghanistan.
Highland Council and local residents had raised concerns about community cohesion and the sudden presence of asylum seekers.
Note: AI created this article.
















